Wednesday, June 16, 2010

So, I Have My Geek On - Where's The Party?

I have never been so immersed in technology as I have been during the past two months. Yet, there is a nagging thought that tells me I am late for the party. Indeed, I may not even know where the party is. One thing I do know - for me, this is Geekdom - and I don't even have a fraction of the toys that go along with that state of being.

Where do the Geeks live? One place that I suspect they frequent is Second Life, the virtual world of avatars, Linden dollars, and ... freaky things, for lack of a better description. Some of us are recording Jing videos or creating Podcasts. Lots of us manipulate photos or videos digitally, and have been for years. And it's mandatory for Geekship to network socially one more than one space.

Today we got to see the Great Geek Bunker of the Cedar Valley. The folks at TEAM were kind enough to offer us a tour of their facility -  an underground facility that houses servers for many clients, able to withstand an F-4 tornado. Our course instructor Dr. Z simplified the facility - as he so often does so well - as nothing more than a high-tech garage. The people at this facility have the job of maintaining the servers for many clients and the internet for this part of the country.

Yeah, that internet. I assume you're familiar with it.

I won't say that TEAM employees aren't under some pressure to keep everything going, but they HAVE to keep everything going. Medical records, communications, banking records, corporate histories, this blog - all the essential stuff to your life probably flows through or is backed up at this site. These guys aren't just Geeks. They are Super Geeks with the academic credentials to back it up. They've had their Geek on for a while now. Good to know there's someone out there who works hard to keep things going.

BTW, the image that you see comes courtesy of Mini Mizer 3.0 at ReasonablyClever.com. Wanna get your Geek on? Nothing says Geek better than a Lego avatar.

6 comments:

  1. Bill--once again your gift shines brilliantly! I also feel I've joined the party way late. But I think the world is gonna have to get their geek on if they are going to prosper. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your geek is on. Keep it coming.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HATE Legos...You have no idea how much money I have spent on these things....So just put some red ones ,,,and blue ones,,,and beige ,,and then white...and THERE I DAMN AM...
    And since you have access to internet shit...find out just how much $$$$ you know who has...this is always ALWAYS a mystery here. Let me know...and we can get a reward thing going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a great thing going for American Library Association....GEEK YOUR LIBRARY...check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were giving an award for best post titles, I think you'd definitely be a contender!

    BTW, I don't think you're late to the party. I think you and your colleagues are the party! Now are you going to be the life of the party or the party pooper?!

    ReplyDelete