Friday, June 18, 2010

I like Steve Jobs. So why does he hate me?

Let me start by saying if you want to pick sides now, here is where you need to go:

Steve Jobs lovers, click here. (It's also a nice spot to visit if you're interested in audio and video learning.)

Steve Jobs haters,  click here.

Perhaps hate is too strong of a word. I recognize that software has to change, but I've been a loyal Apple fan. The radical change from iMovie HD to iMovie 7, 8 and now 9 was just not in my best interest. The last straw came today when I decided to continue to show my loyalty by upgrading to iLife '09. That took me a 45 minute trip to the computer store and set me back eighty bucks. Then I found out that I couldn't upgrade until I signed on to Mobile Me, the service that allows your mobile devices to stay synced with your computer. While the first 90 days are free, you still have to give them your information and set up an account. After I did that, it took 45 minutes to update the software from a CD.

I don't have to tell anyone in the EITS 2010 that I don't have two hours to upgrade a program that came with my MacBook and that SHOULD BE AVAILABLE BY DOWNLOAD. (I know - the Geek Squad would point out that a 45 minute CD download was probably eight times faster than a download, I know.)

Steve, what did I do, buddy? How can we make this better? I still want to be your friend.


Photo: http://swapnilkamat.com/speaks/?cat=24

5 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful to hear a Mac person ranting about a Mac......come join us over here on the dark side Bill, say it with me, we love our PC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think your ID picture fits your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard/frustrating to try to keep up with software developers... when do we stop? What version can we just keep and be happy with? I guess it matters how much money people want to make.

    Bill Rules!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Mr. Jobs made a mistake to turn iMovie into Adobe Premier. It is too complicated for us peons.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help but leave a comment. I'm afraid that you were mistaken, that you do NOT have to have a mobile me account to upgrade any kind of software. iLife '09 is a software upgrade - yes, which requires a disk to install, but certainly has nothing to do with mobile me. In order to register your software, you need to create an Apple ID (which if you have and itunes account... it's the same log in you use for the Apple Store). If you don't have an Apple ID.... you just create one - and it's free.
    I'm sorry to hear about your frustration - I worked as a trainer for Apple for 3 years, and am now a K-5 Technology teacher. I came across your post at Dr. Z's presentation at ITEC. We're all lifelong learners - my comment is only meant to help you in the future with upgrading your Apple software. Btw... I hope you're enjoying iLife '09! :)

    ReplyDelete